Gardening season has finally begun

 

A hand is shown with dirt under the fingernails and covering the skin, suggesting recent gardening or manual labor. The fingers are spread apart, and the background features a blurred sink.

Got my hands into the dirt. The dirty was a tad bit damp, but it was good.

I finally dug up and moved the irises from the tire planter. I started with the trowel, but finally used my spading fork to uproot them. It's amazing how using the right tool makes things easier. Those irises were not coming up easily.

A cluster of freshly dug plants with thick roots sits atop a black ad pink tire, surrounded by loose foliage and soil. Garden tools and a blue bucket partially filled with uprooted plants are also visible, indicating recent gardening activity.

I transplanted them into the corner of the big flower bed where I had the sunflowers for the last couple of years. I won't be growing sunflowers there again, they overshadowed things a bit too much. I will grow my sunflowers in the new bed I am going to build this spring.

Freshly sprouted plants are emerging from the rich, dark soil in a well-maintained garden bed bordered by greenery. Several green shoots of varying sizes are spaced out in rows, some still bearing the remnants of their protective sheaths.

I still have a bit more weeding to do. I am trying to get rid of all the grass in the irises. I may just dig those up so I can strip the grass from them and spread them out a bit more.

A small home garden displays an assortment of young plants growing in rich soil, confined within a modest wooden border. Various stages of plant growth are evident among the different species, suggesting a recently started planting season.

I am happy to say a lot of my Grape Hyacinth has started putting out flowers.

A raised garden bed constructed from wooden planks is shown beginning to sprout with green plants amidst a background of a well-tended lawn. Young plants peek out of the soil promising the arrival of spring in an outdoor setting.

So far it is just in the west-side flower boxes, but I suspect the rest aren't too far behind.

Comments