Moving strawberries

 

Raised wooden garden bed with strawberry plants growing in it, the soil littered with peanut shells and a black cat sleeping behind the plants in the shade.
Napoleon napping in my strawberry bed

The raised garden bed I made for my strawberries is falling apart. It is also too wide at 4 feet for me to comfortably work in it, so it is going to be rebuilt.

The plan is to raise the bed using pallets cut to 2 feet wide and stacked up a couple of feet. We'll build the bed on top of that so I can comfortably work in my strawberry patch.

I plan on reusing the bricks to make a facade around the pallets to hide them. The ground will be leveled, so they should stack better. 

Part of the problem is half the bed is beyond the porch roof above it and in the spring, snow falling off the roof lands on the front of the bed and dislodges the bricks.

Roofed deck with snow sliding off the roof and now piled in the yard, on top of the garbage cans and snow on the deck.
Snow sliding off the porch roof

So, in anticipation of the rebuild, I decided to dig up my strawberries and put them in pots for the time being. This makes it easier to get to the strawberries but also gives the front walk some more interest.

Pots on stands with strawberry plants and a shallow blue pot with some plants on the walkway against the brown metal skirting of a mobile home.
My potted strawberries and some daylilies

I will recycle the soil in the bed for my containers for my tomatoes. 

Raised garden bed with a couple of strawberry plants, some weeds, with peanut shells on top of the soil in from of a white trellis with diamond pattern holes along the bottom of a porch.
My strawberry bed is looking empty.

I hadn't planned on transplanting all of the strawberries into pots at once, but I got on a roll.

I am looking forward to the new bed and moving my strawberries back to it. I have designs for flowers in pots for those stands.







Comments