Humphrey the Comfrey is growing quite nicely

 

Russian COnfrey
Humphrey the Comfrey

I'm a big fan of BBC Gardener's World on Britbox. Even though they are based in Great Britain, a lot of what they recommend for gardening works in other places.

One tip they give is to use comfrey as a feed for your plants. As I prefer to do things as organically as possible, I jumped on this tip.

Comfrey is a fast-growing plant and can spread and take over things. One way to avoid this is to buy a sterile variety that can't spread via seed.  They also can spread via their root system, so be careful where you plant them.

I was able to buy a crown of the Russian Comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum), also referred to as Bocking 14. The flowers are very pretty, but the seeds are sterile.

Humphrey in bloom
Humphrey in bloom


I haven't made any feed with it yet, my comfrey is still small. I will look at dividing it this fall so I will have more plants in the spring. Right now I have it in a raised bed that I will be planting my watermelon starts in.


Humphrey the Comfrey in a raised bed
Humphrey the Comfrey in a raised bed

I had planned on making using this bed to grow the comfrey in, but I will see about planting them in the tire planters I have scattered in my back garden. I should be able to split Humphrey into 3 crowns this year and then more next fall.

I can't wait to start making comfrey feed, but in the meantime, I put the leaves in my compost bins to add more nutrients to them.

Oh, and the reason I named it Humphrey is I am always forgetting the name of the plant. Humphrey rhymes with comfrey so I don't forget LOL!

Comments