Out and about in Maine, the food

So once the disposal of the storage unit was done, we had a couple of days to pop around the area for a little sightseeing.

We'd gotten done with the storage unit on the Friday, so after a rest, shower, and clean clothes I looked up nearby restaurants on Google maps and found a nice little Thai place called Sweet Angel that sounded good.

Missed it the first time we drove by, even tho I was following the app directions. Hadn't looked at their site closely and didn't realize it was in a converted house. So a quick turn around in a parking lot got us back to the restaurant.

A very homey place. Too tired to really get any pictures other than my meal. But it was very nice in there, service was quick and the Pad Thai (no.43 on the menu) with chicken, beef and shrimp was exactly what I was needing. Along with the Thai iced tea. NOM!!!!!



There was nothing left on my plate when I was done. Mom got the orange chicken (no.70) with brown rice. Sorry no picture of her meal.

Pity we couldn't go back again before we left, but I recommend you try it if you wander thru Brunswick ME any time soon.

The hotel we stayed at,Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Brunswick Freeport had a breakfast in the morning that came in so handy. 1st couple of  mornings I did eggs and whatever meat protein they had, along with fruit. Coffee of course. Saturday morning I asked about the gluten free option they had for breads and they provided Udi's bagels:



I didn't try to toast the bagel, no dedicated GF toaster there, but didn't need to. Bagel was just perfect as was with cream cheese and canadian bacon slapped between the halves. A very good breakfast. I did similar for breakfast on Sunday and Monday.

Saturday we drove up to Owl's Head, taking a roundabout way to meet up with an online friend who I've know via email and Facebook. was a lovely trip up and had a nice visit. She and her hubby have a nice little cottage overlooking Androscoggin Lake. A really nice view of the lake and she gets some great pictures of the birds who visit her bird feeder.

We drove until we hit Rockport and had lunch at the Rockport Diner.



I had the Ocean Catch which was deep fried haddock on a bulky. I had to ask what a bulky was. I was thinking something akin to a large hamburger type bun and I was right. (Yes I know it wasn't gluten free, but I can handle a little bit of gluten as long as I don't push it. Besides, HADDOCK!!!!!). Came with fries that were delish. The fish was perfectly cooked and I could have eaten a dozen more. But I wasn't going to push it. For the life of me, can't remember what mom had. My brain was still melting down from the previous 2 days of dealing with the storage unit. But she quite enjoyed it.

We had assorted leftovers and such from previous meals or a trip to Hannaford's for dinner fixings of the not having to cook kind, so made do with those Saturday night since we'd had a late lunch.

Sunday was the day we were going to hunt down lobster rolls. We'd planned on hitting Red's Eats , a lobster shack my mom remembered from a away back when she'd visited my brother and his now ex-wife when they lived in the area. But the storms rolled in on Sunday, so we opted for someplace with indoor seating and not such a line.

Besides, can't go wrong with a place with a giant lobster on the roof LOL!



Not too mention the decor:




I ordered the lobster roll with butter instead of mayo (not a mayo fan) and on gluten free bread. Mom went with the seafood casserole. 

Normally if I see something listed as market price I skip over that and find something else. But I was in Maine and I wanted lobster and I'd figured I would normally have a small heart attack at the price, but I wanted a lobster roll. Besides, after dealing with the storage locker we deserved a seriously yummy treat LOL!



Before

After
I was a good girl and didn't lick my plate clean, but every sliver of lobster was consumed. It was worth every penny. The break was delish and after being soaked with the butter was elevated to heaven with the large chucks of lobster that was perfectly cooked.

The lobster roll was a prefect end for a trip. Breakfast the next day was at the hotel and not much else the rest of the day on the flights.





Comments