I'm getting too old...

for staying up late on work nights. My class on Tuesdays doesn't get out until 8:45pm, so by the time hubby comes to get me (I call him on me cell as soon as I walk out the classroom door) and get home, it is 9pm or a bit later (if we don't stop somewhere first). So dinner it usually about 10 pm.

Since I don't want to crawl into bed immediately after eating, we end up staying up until well after 11pm and almost midnight. 7am comes awfully damned early.

So what do I do last night? Same thing, only this was a lecture for the Core 116 classes that our class was invited to attend. There were two speakers, one was a gentleman from Kenya who is teaching one of the sections and the other was Cliff SiJohn, who is a Couer d'Alene elder who is a riveting speaker. I could have stayed up all night listening to them both. Their talk was geared to the Core students, most of whom are 18 year old freshmen, but I found lots of it of interest to me personally and the class I am currently taking. I didn't get out of there until 8:30ish, so called hubby from my office and of course it was after 9pm by the time we got home.

I have to say, SOMEONE NEEDS TO REPLACE THOSE ^&$^# SEATS IN THE AG SCI AUDITORIUM!!!!! I was in pain after sitting in them for 2 1/2 hours. They were the same &%^#$ seats I sat in when I was a freshman in 1979-1980. And they were painful THEN! I'd hoped hubby could come to, he would have found it interesting, but the seats would have killed him.

Speaking of hubby, he took back the laptop he gave me, it was needed for something else. BUT, he is giving me his old one and got himself a new one. Originally we were going to share the old one, but he needs it for work and I would have felt extremely guilty keeping it all day on Tuesday and he needed it (so I was planning on "forgetting" to take it with me). So while I am sad I don't have my little Thinkpad anymore, the Acer is a very nice laptop, more powerful and already is set up for wireless, so I can actually use it on lunch hours to access the net and write my report for class. Not too mention make it easier for me to copy recipes from my email into AccuChef without having to move them from computer to computer using my thumb drives.

Speaking of class, I am SOOOOO looking forward to the field trips. Two will be to the Coeur d'Alene reservation, one of them to dig water potatoes. The other two will be to the Nez Perce reservation, one which will be a trip to the fish hatchery and with any luck, see a salmon run. If so, I will be getting LOTS of vid and pics. I've seen runs in films and pics, never in real life and it should be awesome. First filed trip is the 28th.

I am SO loving my new fridge, with the ice maker going great guns we are never without ice and I don't have to fight with ice cube trays. Of course now I have a ton of trays. Will probably freecycle most of those, keeping a few on hand for freezing stock and other things I only need a small amount of for cooking. I now have both my sun tea jars in the fridge on the door cold brewing, so we should never be without iced tea.

Hubby saw his doctor the other day, she told him in no uncertain terms he is NOT to be drinking anymore alcohol. She said it could trigger an even worse bout of pancreatitis that could land him in ICU. Since we don't want that to happen, I will be learning how to make virgin cocktails so he can at least have something when we have friends over for drinks or when I feel like something.

Starting to get in the mood for some serious cooking now that the weather is getting cooler. Have to get that inventory done to see what I have and then see what I can make. I do know i still have a couple of loaves of bread dough in the freezer, should pull it out and let it thaw and see if it bakes up okay.

Comments

Chimera said…
Water potatoes? Sqigwts? Not easy to find info on them, so what can you tell me? Start with the pronunciation...
JeanC said…
I am not even going to attempt the pronunciation, I would slaughter it horribly.

From the Life Long Learning site for the Coeur d'Alenes:

"Among the many roots gathered by the Schitsu’umsh, the sqigwts or commonly called, "water potato" (botanical name: Sagittaria latifolia), along with camas (Camassia quamash) and bitterroot (Lewisia rediviva), continue to hold tremendous value for the people. In June the delicate white-flowered, large arrow-leafed water potato can be easily seen along the shores of Lake Coeur d’Alene and Hayden Lake. In the fall, any signs of the plant have vanished, only to be discovered six to ten inches down in the mud. With shovels in hand, prayer is first offered to the Creator, asking permission to dig the roots and for a blessing for those who now dig and who later consume the "gifts." Then under the guidance and direction of elders, the digging commences. It's hard work, but laughter and good conversation augment the hours of effort. Once gathered, the water potato is prepared "like a regular potato" - baked or boiled, with its tail left on it. In the tail is "all the flavor.""
Chimera said…
Ah...the Latin name helped a lot...arrowheads!

I know what those are. They're delicious, is what they are! When they're in season, they're available in the local grocery stores and produce stands.

Enjoy...