Too darned hot!!!

Since developing the Graves' disease, I haven't been dealing with heat really well (then again, I also don't deal with cold well either) and living in a tin box isn't helping any. It is times like this I am GLAD I work full time in a building with air conditioning. At one point we looked at our indoor/outdoor thermometer and they both read 88 degrees F, then the temp outside started falling, but the temp inside didn't :( Hubby definately isn't doing well with the heat, he never has (then again, he was born way north of here so that isn't too surprising).

I really do want to save up and get central air installed. We have a swampcooler, but it will cost more money then it is worth to repair the darn thing and besides, it is mounted in the roof over the hallway where we keep our paperback books and a LOT of not cheap science fiction and fantasy artwork I have collected over the years. Last thing I want is to up the humidity in the house.

Since it was so darned hot, we hit Safeway and picked up some bagged salads and spinach, some shredded cheese, already cooked, season and chopped up chicken (it was on sale) and some salad dressing. Normally I would make my own ceasar dressing, but as hot as it was I wasn't going to mess with raw eggs. Last thing we need is food poisoning when we are already feeling ick. I added a can of diced olives I already had to the mix and we had a yummy chicken ceasar salad for dinner. Didn't have to turn on the stove, I was a happy camper.

When it cooled off a bit I went out to water my garden, things are really popping now. My long beans have made a serious showing and my sugar peas will need to have something to climb real soon (still have to check the package to see how tall they are supposed to get so I can get the strings and poles at the right height). I'll be stringing up my cucumbers also, but they still have a long way to go before I need to do that. In a couple of weeks I'll start some more beans in the other garden spot and plant some more sugar peas right next to the shed walls and put something up for them to climb, so I'll have beans and peas producing later in the year.

My mom and my aunt are supposed to be in town this weekend for a sorority anniversay, but I haven't had any word recently on plans and when they are arriving. Luckily the house is only slightly cluttered (we've been going thru boxes and tossing some stuff and combining others into fewer boxes) and it will only take a couple of minutes to get the living room back in order. They have reservations at a local hotel, so I don't have to worry about putting them up at our place. My aunt loves BBQ, so she usually pops for some good cuts of meat and I toss them onthe grill. I wish we had fresh veggies from our garden, they will have to make do with the rhubarb I have, which my mom does like, so I will pick some and fix it. I don't like rhubarb and the only reason I have it is I found a couple small plants on my porch one morning and they looked so pathetic I couldn't turn them away. 'Sides, they do make very nice ornamentals :D

Comments