Interview with Paul Campos

From Big Fat Blog:

Dr. Pattie Thomas
Interview with Paul F. Campos

Last fall, law professor, columnist and author, Paul Campos, took the time to talk to me about his then upcoming book, The Obesity Myth: Why America�s Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to your Health, which is available now at bookstores or via the Internet. Paul shared his insights into the infatuation North Americans have with the Obesity Myth, the ways in which the current rhetoric is designed to create a moral panic aimed at fat people and the ways in which we can work towards dispelling this myth and creating a society where body diversity is respected and desired.

Tell me a bit about your background and how you got interested in fat politics.

I am a law professor at the University of Colorado and have been here for 13 years. I teach several fairly ordinary law school types of classes: property, legislation and jurisprudence. I got interested in the whole fat thing initially because I had been doing a conference on the Clinton impeachment and I had to fill in a gap in the program. I had noticed that the word �zaftig� had been used a lot in the context of stories about Monica Lewinski, so I thought that was kind of interesting. I decided to investigate further and discovered that there were a whole lot of fat issues surrounding the entire Lewinski-Clinton scandal. That prompted me to investigate the larger questions of the role of fat in America, in particular, and in the world more generally, today. Well, I got interested not so much fat as anxiety and hysteria about obesity, hence my current project.

-snip-

Rest of interview at the link in the title above.

Comments