A rather wet weekend, or at least Sunday was

The rain came down so hard at one point it came thru the AC in the bedroom, so I now have towels layered down to try and soak up the water out of the carpet. I think it is getting time to pull it out and put it back into storage.

When the rain first started I popped out, then quickly popped back in to grab my camera:

Need to fix and clean the gutters LOL!


I think it is time to work on the rain gutters!

Saturday was a putter about day and then Mabon Saturday night. A very nice evening, sprinkled a bit, but not too much. One small part of the rit was to write down something we want to have accomplished by Samhain. I wrote a few things down, nothing that should be to difficult to get done. It is just a matter of getting them done LOL!

Sunday we ended up sleeping in until 11ish, really didn't want to get up. Finally did, made coffee and eventually some 5 minute oatmeal for breakfast. Went to make a 2nd batch of coffee at one point and took me a while. First off I forgot to turn it on, then I discovered I'd forgotten to put in water. Good thing I wasn't planning on serious home repairs LOL!

Since it was race day, I popped out to the store to pick up a few ingredients we needed to make Red Lobster cheese biscuit clones:

cheesebiscuits2


Serious yum! I used shredded Tillamook sharp cheddar. These would be really nice with sausage gravy for breakfast some time.

Good race, tho I was sad when Tony ran out of gas. I just wish my boys were running better even tho Jr is out of the chase. He really needs a win or two, as does Jeff.

I was gifted with half a huge cabbage on Saturday, I don't like cabbage, esp cooked, so wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. My friend said this particular variety was great stir dried, so I decided to give it a try.

I sliced up some pork loin, marinated it in soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, Chinese 5 spice, garlic powder and rice wine vinegar. I sliced up the cabbage, washed it and then put a pot of water on for soba noodles. I fired up the wok with veggie oil and started with the pork. I did it in batches and set it aside. The soba noodles didn't take long to cook, so I drained them and tossed them with more toasted sesame oil so keep them from sticking and set them aside. I then tossed the cabbage into the wok and cooked it. Once it was just about ready, I tossed in the soba noodles and pork with the juices from it mixed it all together:

Pork, cabbage and soba noodle stir fry


OMG it was totally delish. It didn't taste like cooked cabbage at all. Hubby had 2nds and I have leftovers for lunch. I have to find out what kind of cabbage it was so I can see about growing my own next year. I have been interested in growing my own bok choi, so I can see about getting a nice variety going.

I also got a few beets and some huge carrots. The carrots will probably get shredded and put int he freezer to be used in a carrot cake sometime in the future. I'm going to look into some recipes for the beets. I am leaning towards a nice slow roasting with olive oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar, I think that would pair up nicely with some beef.

Comments

kat smith said…
How do you feel about cabbage rolls. I make a soup with ground round chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes, diced onions, and rice. Season with paprika, salt, pepper and sugar. Rachel Ray has a stoup version of this on her web-site or you can find it on the food network web-site. This is so simple and it could be cooked in a slow cooker. I love cabbage but I rarely cook it because my husband hates the smell. Hope you and your hubby and kitties are well. Happy autumnal equinox.
JeanC said…
Not terribly fond of cabbage rolls. Like your hubby, don't care for the smell of it. Tho if I stick the slow cooker out on the porch, that might solve that problem LOL! Have to think about it.