Going to be a short work week

My mom made it over yesterday. She came out to the house for dinner last night. Since we don't have a guest room, she stays at a hotel. When we have friends visit, we put them up on the hide-a-bed in the living room. Just not right to make mom do that.

Decided on a simple dinner. Thawed out some boneless chicken thighs and cut them up. Cut up a small onion and sauteed that in olive oil with some minced garlic and then tossed in the chicken. Let that cook with the lid on the pan a while and then added some salt, turmeric, water and a can of drained chickpeas. Let that simmer while I made some jasmine rice.

Once everything was about ready, I took some greens I'd gotten from friends who run Raven Croft Farm and cut that up in slices after rolling the leave up. I popped those in to the pan and put the lid back on to let them steam. When it was ready I mixed it in to the chicken and then served it over the rice. Very yummy.

Turmeric chicken with chickpeas and greens


I do need to double check which greens they were. She told me and I forgot. All I remembered was she said we can use them like spinach. I need to get more, it was really delish in the this dish.

Pulled out a chunk of beef this morning to thaw. Not sure how I'll fix it, maybe cut it into steaks and pop them under the broiler. I still have cous cous, so will look at that as a side.

My aunt comes in on Thursday, so mom and I will drive up and pick her up. They have the 80th anniversary of their sorority this weekend, so they will have a full weekend.

Comments

Chimera said…
Ravencroft Farms! So that's what B and E have been up to all these years! Say hi to them all for me next time you see them, eh?

Oh...those greens were probably either beet tops or kale.

And did you know that this blog was off line for me for awhile? It and a bunch of others have been vicitmized by some code glitch in IE8, which conflicts with code in some Blogger platforms, which effectively blocks access. All betta now, it looks like.
Chimera said…
Ooops. Not kale. Chard.

Definitely like spinach, but with less stringiness.
JeanC said…
Actually it isn't B & E, But Debi and Dave, tho B & E live out on a farm in an old school house they have been building on to. I usually get farm fresh eggs from them once in a while, I need to see about getting them from them regularly.

Glad that glitch got fixed. Stupids Internet Exploder!

I'll double check,if it is chard I am going to see about growing it myself next year or possibly this fall when it cools off again. That is yummy stuff.
Chimera said…
Debi I know, too, and it's been like forever since I saw her, as well. Not sure I know Dave, but hey...friends of friends and all that, so hugs all around, eh?

And yeah, I love chard. But around here, it's not commercially grown, so if you want it you have to grow it yourself. Not even the truck farms grow it here. You're lucky you have RavenCroft.
Chimera said…
Almost forgot:

Spider and Jeanne are grandparents!

Gad...when did we all get so...*is there an echo in here?*...old?