I felt so guilty this morning

Poor Phoebe really didn't like being in the kitty carrier. She started spinning in it, so I opened it up and held her for the trip to the vets. Bad enough mummy and daddy wouldn't let her have any food, then they locked up in the bedroom this morning so her brothers could have their breakfast, but then they were mean and stuck her in that box and took her out to the car.

It was good she didn't cry, my heart breaks when they start crying. She did pretty good in my arms, I didn't have to hold on too tightly. She really didn't want to go back in when we got to the office, but I managed. She was one unhappy baby cat.

Got a little beef with the vet. We'd called around to get quotes since the budget is tight this month (Christmas, property taxes, etc), so we went with the practice who gave us the best quote. Seems the IV and fluids they give to help kitty with the anesthesia and to keep from dehydrating is an "optional" extra (read: if you don't say yes you look like a bad parent who doesn't care for you furry baby, so of course you say yes) and we are now paying just about what we would have with our regular vet. Oh well, by then it was too late, she was in the office and we'll just economize elsewhere to cover the extra. Just seems like a sleazy thing to do, the least they could have done was mentioned it when hubby called for a quote in the first place. But she will be able to go outside without risk of unwanted attention and incipient kittens and she'll have her shots.

It is going to be a quiet evening without our baby cat, we'll be able to get her sometime tomorrow, then it is several days inside rest and we are getting pain meds to give her once she gets home.

ETA:

Hubby called, Phoebe came thru surgery with flying colors and is awake
and eating (precocious kitten!). She does have ear mites thanks to
Scrapper cat, we've been dosing his ears with a solution from Petco
that has the mite killer in it and trying to get him mite-less. The
vet has some stuff that does it in one shot, so we'll get that for
Phoebe. They are also going to show us how to clean ears properly so
we can deal with the rest of the kids. I know Nicky has them, we've
been treating him also and if I can pin Rum Tum down we can check his
ears.

So I get my baby kitten at lunch tomorrow.

Comments

Deb Rox said…
No guilt, for anything! Just sing like Edith Piaf and know you did the right thing.
JeanC said…
I know we did the right thing, I ALWAYS feel guilty when I leave my babies at the vet, they give me such looks of hurt and sadness that I am leaving. They have me wrapped thoroughly around their paws LOL.
Chimera said…
Pain meds? Cats don't need pain meds. In all the years I've had cats, and had them all edited, this is the first time I've ever heard of pain meds for cats.

Also, on the ear cleaning...olive oil. One drop in each ear, once a month. That's all that's needed.

And congratulations for biting your lip and doing the editing!
JeanC said…
My vets have always given pain meds, tho with the boys it is a shot before they leave the office, it's been a while since I've had a girl edited, but I usually went home with tablets for a day or two afterwards. May be a Canada vs USA thing.

The bill was a definite OUCH!, luckily we have a little buffer, but we won't be doing any shopping for a few days, good thing we have plenty of kitty litter and cat food for the kids and food in the freezer for the humans.

We'll treat the kids with the stuff they sold us (Revolution, $45 for 3 doses EEPP!!!, enough to do the 3 at home) and will go with the recommended olive oil treatment once we get the mites gone.

All in all, I am glad we won't have to worry about kittens in the future and in the long run things should be okay.