Ummmm?

A Different World
Bucky Covington

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside

Chorus
It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

Chorus

Bridge
No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

Chorus

Chorus

It was a different world


---

Now I rather like this song, and I quite like Bucky Convington. But he was born in 1977 and I have to say, by the time he was out of diapers he certainly had more then 3 channels to watch (I remember begging my parents inthe mid-70s for cable, tho we got plenty of stations off the air. I just wanted channels without commercials) and video games. Heck, we were playing Pong and other fun games on the TV at home before he was even born. Seat belts had been mandated LONG before he was even a gleam in his daddy's eye as was the injunction against lead based paints (tho there were still lots of places that had it on the walls, mostly older building sand homes). Childproof caps have been around and mandated since at least the early 70s. I remember as a kid when they were made law.

So Bucky dear, love your music, but that song needs to be sung by someone born when I was (1961) or earlier. You are WAY too young to be singing it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was born in 1979 and in rural PA when I was a kid we did not have cable available so we had 4 channels and that was it. It was not until I was a senior in high school that cable became available in that area and my parents did not subscribe until a few years later when I was away at college. Bucky has said he really did have just 3 as a kid where he lived as well.

He did agree that perhaps all the things do not exactly match his age but it was not meant to be autographical...very few song are for sure...but I am sure each of the different elements touch different people...which was more the point. :)

Great song and Bucky sings it so well! And the music video is cool too!
Anonymous said…
Rockingham North Carolina does not even have a theater so I am sure they didnt get cable until the really late 80's or early 90's. Bucky said that he only three and one was Atlanta Braves baseball station. The other things in the song that you say are too old for him, he said he heard stories from his dad and grandpa, so he could relate. I have children born in 77-82, we did have cable but they had lead base cribs, no bottle water and yes, they drank from a garden hose. Glad you like Bucky and the song but since when do people have to be a certain age to sing a certain song or a requirement that songs be autographical? Joe Nichols didnt lose a wife (I'll Wait for You) and that is just the first one that popped into my head.
kathyg722 said…
Yes, have to say that it was 1985 when we got more than three channels where I lived in WV. Not to say most didn't have cable but out in the country we still had 3 channels and ...get this... a party line on the phone. Most of it I am in sure he remembers. And hey Brian Adams was 10 in the Summer of '69...good song is a good song.:)