I gotta start being more selfish

I was just checking my leave balances. I have 24 hours of comp time built up from working OT when we had some students not make their shifts for whatever reason or other. I have have 33 days of annual leave built up (we have a cap of 42 days) and I have 78 DAYS of sick leave :P I gotta start using some of it. My family came to America on the Mayflower and that &%^$ Puritan Work Ethic is genetic, I feel guilty if I'm home sick with the flu and not at work.

I usually take days off in the summer, tho one year I started doing 3 day weekends in Feb when I was within a couple hours of the cap on my annual leave. I'm thinking I'm going to be taking some mental health days a few times the rest of this semester, starting next week. I now have two doctors appointments next Thursday, one with the therapist and the other with my regular doc. My one co-worker says I ought to just take the whole day, he would. I'm thinking that sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking I'll take Friday off too.

We hope to have enough cash built up in a couple weeks to head up to Vancouver for a couple days to visit some friends who are adopting a baby girl. We haven't seen them in a while and hubby is looking forward to being an "uncle" hehehehehehe. It would be nice to get out of town further then Lewiston/Clarkston.

Local news: if you own a gun shop, don't deal drugs out of it :P Seems the new owner of a shop down in Lewiston we liked to go to before the previous owner died got himself busted this week. Kinda glad we didn't frequent it after the new owners took over.

Local area people needing to call the local crisis line will soon be out of luck. They needed more money for operating expenses, asked for an increase from Idaho Health and Welfare and were told no. Idaho takes another step back into the dark ages on health care :P

Comments

Chimera said…
If you're heading to Vancouver (I take it you mean the one in Canada, and not in Washington), maybe we could meet someplace for coffee (Tim's?)? I don't live in the city, itself, but I'm in the area.

Canadian bloggers have started doing "meet-and-greets" in most major cities. I'm thinking of trying to get the Vancouver area bloggers doing it.

My e-mail:

chimeracavern@yahoo.com
I use my sick time for what I call "Mental Health Breaks". I don't get sick very often...and my sick time would go to waste and doesn't rollover... Those days belong to me. I have a great doc that will back me up if I need a "permission slip" to use more than 2 days...He calls it stress control.
I am giving your blog a shout out tonite...send some of my traffic your way as they wait for my scope's for the race to get up...
Anonymous said…
I've got the 2 days off, so it's a 3 day work week for me :D

Chimera, we'll definately have to see about coffee if and when we get up there. I like meeting folk in real life that I know from the net :)
Chimera said…
You got it! What general area are you going to be in (Vancouver proper, Burnaby, New West, North Van, etc)? I just looked at a local map, and realized that this is one HUGE area...and it's all called "Vancouver!"
Anonymous said…
Not sure as yet. Our friends who are adopting live in North Van, but if we can manage to crash at the Lout & Mrs Lout's place, they live out towards New West.

We'll know a little more once we figure out if we'll have the money and then decide when.