Lazy Sunday again

Recieved a sample issue of Cook's Illustrated the other day and got an idea. There was an article on braising and an article on oven fries. For dinner last night I decided to cut part of the cheap chuck roast I'd bought earlier, pulled out my dutch oven and heated it up on my stove top, added a bit of olive oil, sprinkled sale and pepper on the bits of beef and into the dutch oven they went. I browned them nicely on both sides, then turned the heat down, added some water and a couple splashes of basalmic vinegar and put the lid on.

I then turned the magazine to the oven fries. I peeled and cut up 4 small to medium russets into steak fries and then put them in a bowl with hot tap water to soak according to the article. I soaked for 10 minutes, drained and patted the fries dry. I took a cookie sheet, spread 4 tablespoons veggie oil on the pan, sprinkled salt and pepper and tossed the fries with another tablespoon oil and layered them on. Covered the sheet with foil and popped it into the oven, which was heated to 475F. 5 minutes under cover, then off with the foil for 15 minutes. Then turn the fries over, back in for another 15 minutes.

I then cheated by making some hollandaise using a packet of Flavorite hollandaise (it's not bad and I didn't feel like standing on my feet for homemade), put the meat on the plate, topped it with fake crab meat, side of the fries and ladled the hollandaise sauce on top. Poor persons steak neptune

I have GOT to get a subscription to CI!

Currently watching Village of the Damned, a wonderful movie. Makes up for trying to watch SciFi's Caved In, which we couldn't even finish it was so bad

Rum Tum is out exploring the great out doors again. Nice and sunny, but a bit chilly today. Moved the christmas tree off the deck yesterday, will eventually get it tot he recyclers one of these days LOL. Half tempted right now to save it and use it for peas to climb when the needles fall off. Read somewhere where someone did that, made a nice frame for their peas, tho I don't think I really have the room to do that.

Been reading a new blog (at least to me). Gal out of Spokane with wonderful take on things, including the Semi-Ho (Sandra Lee from Semi-homemade on the Food Channel). Her blog is called un bel niente and it is now on my daily reaidng list.

Comments