Got my tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A co-worker mentioned yesterday that the boy scouts up in Potlatch were selling trees for $7 each. We'd been looking around town and the cheapest we could find were $15 and they didn't have any of the $15 ones left (at least on Sunday). So she called up to Potlatch for me (she knows the people who own the coffee stop next to the lot) to see if they still had trees and what time they were open.

Now, here is why I love living where I live in Idaho and don't want to move. The lot was closing at 5. I don't get off work until 6 and it would be after 6:30 by the time we got to Potlatch. The lady at the coffee stop said to come on up, get a tree and just slide the check or money in an envelop under the door of the coffee stop. Or else send it up with my co-worker's husband. Now, you WON'T find that happening in the big cities anywheres.

So up we went, found the lot and picked out a tree by flashlight. It is a beautiful tree, a fir and definately not the kind normally sold on regular christmas tree lots. By the time I cut the straggly bottom (which will take out the crook in the trunk) it will fit in the house wonderfully. It is one of my favorite kinds of tree, the Charlie Brown tree. It is going to look wonderful all decorated with sparkly ornaments and lights. I won't be using tinsil this year. My kitties normally ignore tinsil, except to use their tails to drag it around the house, but Nicky is going to be having his very first christmas tree and he has been in a chewing phase of late, so no tinsil this year just in case he decides it is shiny spaghetti. We WILL be using parachute cord to secure it to the wall. I would normally use fishing line, but I don't think it wll be strong enough if Nicky decides to try climbing.

I'm going to dig the old tree stand I have out, the stand we had been using went to the dump. The stand we want is $40 and currently out of budget, we'll have to save up to get it next year. I will probably be using a plastic cauldron shaped plant pot with rocks, bricks and potting soil to put the tree in, I don't think my old tree stand will be big enough or will hold enough water.

I'll be doing the tree tonight, Happy Solstice everyone!!!!! I would have done it last night, but we had a friend over to watch Strictly Ballroom and plopping a tree in front of the TV while it was playing would have been a little rude. We'll hit the dollar store tonight to get some more sparklies for the tree since I can't put the tinsil on.

I did finally find my mom's address, amazing the things you can find on copies of one's aunt's legal paperwork. So the package got shipped on Sunday. Yule was fun on Saturday, we had a most enjoyable get together and I now have a kitchen witch hanging in my kitchen.

3 more days of work and a week off, with pay and I don't have to use any annual leave.

Now, all we need to make the holidays better is some SNOW!!!!!!! It looks like the only white we are going to have is fog SNIFF

Comments