Adventures in home ownership.....

or how I am going to seriously hurt the people who built our trailer grrrrrrr

The fixtures are avacado green, since the place was built in 1973. A year or so ago hubby, deciding he REALLY didn't like avacado green (even moreso then I), went after the toilet and bathroom sink with spray paint. Fast forward to last weekend and we pulled the now badly peeling sink out to repaint it properly (he'd spray painted them in place, the toilet is still on the list to re-do, without the water still in it). Come to find out it is cast iron (this we discover when we took the clips off and the darn thing almost put a hole in the floor as we weren't expecting something so heavy and almost dropped it) and we hauled it out and proceeded to sand off the rust on the underside and go after it with paint. This was a couple days project as we wanted to make sure it dried hard, esp the clear coat.

So yesterday we decided to re-install it. We'd finally gotten the metal trim piece off to also repaint on Sat. Decided to try and put the two together first and clip them together before trying to replace the sink from the top instead of coming in from the bottom. Wasn't going to work as planned, so we figured okay, from the bottom it was. Well that was an adventure in and of itself and I am beginning to think spouses should NEVER do home repair together. We finally (after an hour of swearing and almost tears, ropes and blocks and almost filing for divorce) decided to take the counter top off and haul the darn thing out and flip it over and install the sink that way and put everything back together. This proved to be much faster as everything was screwed together.

After relating our adventures to a friend, she said the reason we seem to have such adventures (esp if it involves plumbing) is that we (very silly of us I might add) expect things to be well built. This is not the case on the trailer, I would say morons put this place together, but I do not wish to insult morons. SIGH! The back of the counter was just screwed into the wall, there was nothing for it to sit on. The front of the counter slotted onto the front piece and the only things holding the front up were 4 screws and the counter!!!!

So we now have everything back in place and now have to touch up the sink and trim as we managed to gouge the paint in a few places. I would say the toilet should be easier, but I am going to knock on wood and tell myself I know better (of course this will also involve putting new linolium down as he'd spray painted the toilet red and the floor looks like the floor of an abitoir and desperately needs to be replaced).

We did successfully defrost the deep freeze (our neighbor offered us space for Freddy during the process. At this rate Freddy will be sent off on the Samhain bonfire as we STILL haven't gotten around to taking him out to be buried at the farm) and only flooded the kitchen a little (wasn't expecting the water to go out the hole I didn't know was around the coolent pipes coming up the inside back) and took the doors and some of the paneling off the cupboard above the bar in the kitchen. Opens it up nicely, tho it does show the hideous 70s wall paper I am thankful has been painted over in the rest of the kitchen. We are thinking of putting aquarium backing up to cover it, just a touch of the surreal :D

I did take pics of things, will see about posting a couple as soon as I get the camera downloaded.

Tried my hand at deep frying last night. I've been doing good with chicken, so decided to try french fries. They were only the frozen ones, but I decided to use Alton Brown's tip of twice frying them, essentially par-frying them to start and then finishing them up in the oil a 2nd time. I used the cast iron dutch oven, poured in canola oil, rigged up my probe thermometer to the side with a bulldog clip and turned the burner on. For a first time attempt, it wasn't bad. I couldn't keep the temp hot enough (partly becasue I was frying up chicken thighs in the skillet and was trying to time everything and not doing too terribly well), but they were nice and crispy on the outside and hot and fluffy on the inside. We usually bake the fries, but I prefer them crispier then hubby and baked crispy is too crispy for him, so I usually bake them until they are hot. I am still giving serious consideration to getting a Fry Daddy as that would make deep frying easier (our other neighbor has one and told us the advantages of using one. On the one hand it does have a lot of pluses, but on the other hand it will be one more gadget on my shelves). Have to try using the dutch oven a few more times before making a final decision.

Afterwards I baked up some brownies and MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM After the day we had yesterday, brownies were a wonderful way to end it :D

Comments