Thank the Goddess for iced coffee

It is the only way I'm getting thru the heat this weekend, today is going to be another scorcher. My tomatos are loving it tho :)

I didn't cook dinner until almost 10 pm last night, it was when I finally got hungry. When the weather heats up my appetite goes bye bye. Of course this isn't good for hubby, but thank goodness for the microwave.

Did get the lawn mowed and more of the strip dug up. Sprayed my garden down with the homemade insect spray. That stuff seems to be working well, there are a lot less holes in my rhubarb now. I'm planning on moving it in the spring. I've plans for the front of the shed and I think the rhubarb will look good in that space, it will be better seen from the road and as big as it gets it will look spectacular

Broke the news to hubby that Nicky may be a he and not a she. His comment "WHY can't we ever have a NORMAL kitty!" hehehehehehe I told him that wasn't what the dieties have in store for us. He did mention to D when he brought Nicky home last night (Nicky pretty much feels she (he?) lives in both houses LOL) that we would take a female from the new litter if there are extras (I know J said they had homes already, but I'm not sure how many people asked and at the time no one knew how big the litter was). If so, I want the calico kitten as I KNOW it is female and she is the cutest little thing.

We'll be beating some of the heat today out at a friends place. We've a Lammas planning meeting and barbecue today. I discovered I had some pre-formed hamburger patties we'd bought a while back in the deep freeze, so we'll pick up some buns on the way out. We are also going to brew up a couple pots of coffee and chill them in a pitcher and pick up a quart of chocolate soy milk so we can share iced mochas with the rest of the group (we've a number of folk who are lactose intolerant, but love coffee and mochas).

Made some fozen yogurt last night. Didn't turn out as well as I liked. I used non-fat plain yogurt as an experiment. Another member of a list I am on asked about using non fat when I posted the recipe for frozen yogurt on that list. Since it was on sale, I figured to give it a try. I did use some half and half to add fat, but I thnk non-fat is not going to work. Then again, I had to cut the process short as when I added the carob and semi-sweet chocolate chips the machine started going nuts, I'd also overfilled the machine so that may have been part of the problem. So I pulled it out 5 minutes short, put it into containers and popped it in the freezer to cure. After a couple of hours we trred it. Flavor was good (I used coffee for flavoring), but the texture was brittle. We'll try the other container today since it has had a chance to cure longer. I will probaly try it again, without adding the chips until after I get it out of the machine to see if it was just a time problem, or if it is a matter of not enough milk fat. I do know that regular low-fat yogurt works well and regular yougurt made from whole milk even better.

If you have an ice cream machine here is the recipe:

2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
1/2 cup cold coffee
1/4 cup splenda or sugar
1 cup carob or semi-sweet chocolate chips (or a mixture of both)

mix 1st 4 ingredients together and keep cold. Prep machine according to manufacturors instructions and turn machine on. Add chilled liquid to bowl and let machine run recommended time (my machine only holds a max of 3 cups liquid, your machine may require more or less). 5 minutes before the end, add chips. When done, remove from bowl and pack into freezer container and allow rto cure in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Usually tho it doesn't make it to the freezer, we do like it served soft serve.

Comments