Recipe - elk sausage spread

This is something I came up with. A friend had given us some elk sausage, kinda like brats, and we finally got around to trying them out this last weekend. Up until recently I'd never had elk and wasn't sure I'd like it. I've taken up hunting when I was able to try venison and liked it, but I wasn't sure about elk. My friend had brought some elk steaks she'd gotten from a relative who hunts over and we gave it a try. YUM!!!!!!!

So she scored us the sausage. It was delish, but a bit too spicy for DH, so we had leftovers. So I tried thinking what I could do with the leftovers that would cool down the spiciness a bit. I had a sudden flash of tzatiki sauce, but instead of yogurt, which I thought would be too sharp a flavor, I decided on sour cream instead.

So, here is what I came up with:

1 cup sour cream
1/2 a good sized cucumber
1 1/2 links spicy elk sausage, cooked (I think this would work wll with a hot italian sausage also)

Peel and fine chop cucumber. Chop sausage as fine as you can. Add cucumber and sausage to bowl and add 1 cup of sour cream, more if you like a creamier spread. Mix thoroughly, cover with plastic wrap or lid (if bowl has one) and set in the fridge to let the flavors blend.

Serve with small slices of bread or your favorite cracker. The cucumber and sour cream do great to cut the heat of the sausage spices, tho we were thinking a handful of sultana's would add a wonderful sweetness to the spread. Unfortunately, we used up all the sausage :( so unless I get me an elk this year, we won't be able to repeat this recipe. Tho I probably will give it a go with the hot italian sausage, so I'll let you know how that turns out when I get around to it :D

Comments