A lovely weekend

The 18th marks our 25th wedding anniversary, so we celebrated by spending the weekend at Elk River Idaho where we had out honeymoon. Back then the lodge was called Huckleberry Heave, now it is the Elk River Lodge.



It hasn't changed much in the 25 years since, we even got the same room, albeit with spruced up accommodations and satellite TV. I fell in love with the fire place, I kept playing with the controls all weekend LOL!



The view from the balcony of our room. The first picture is looking towards the road to the reservoir.



They have a simple cafe where they serve breakfast and lunch.  We were able to get a pizza from them after we'd arrived the evening before as we weren't up for wandering out. We'd forgotten how many stairs there were involved getting to the room and we aren't as young and spry as we once had been!

Pizza was good and breakfast was even better. Hubby had the chicken fried steak and I had ham and eggs. NOM!!!!!! Got a couple bites of hubby's brekkie and oh! That was a GOOD chicken fried steak. Well worth a trip up alone.



Saturday the sun had come out and I'd brought my cameras so we hopped in the car and headed out towards the reservoir. We drove quite a ways past before we turned around. The roads were in great condition and it was paved quite a ways. 


There is a bit of logging that has been happening  past the reservoir:



We'd turned around just past this spot and headed back for photos at the reservoir. The reservoir was frozen over and people had been going out on the ice. No way you'd get me out there. It might be nice and thick, but with my luck I'd find the 1 super thin spot and go thru the ice. I don't do ice water plunges!



I'd planned on going out to the end of the dock, but then I saw the slope I'd have to go down and decided to set my camera up above. I'm not so steady on my feet anymore, plus two cameras, a tripod, bulky boots, and two canes meant that I would probably would have had the hubby call 911 to come get me out of the snow and back up the slope.

Drove back along the reservoir and stopped for more photos. Was so very pretty out.



By this point I was getting cold and tired. My back was starting to twinge and my feet where cramping up. So back into town we went. Elk River was decked up for the holidays, we hadn't noticed this earlier, so I had hubby back up so I could get photos.


We rested a while and then out for dinner. We hit the Log Inn and I had a chili burger sans bun and waffle fries. Hubby went for a double decker burger with fries he just managed to finish. We'd gotten loaded fries for an appetizer. All very NOM!

As tempting as it would have been to wander over to Tom's Tavern to watch the festivities (they had a pirate gift exchange (ie white elephant where you can steal someone else's gift if you liked it), we went back to our room for a nice quiet evening in. We did a little drive around town to look at the Christmas lights on various houses. It was all very pretty.

We had a good night's sleep and sleep in. Finally got up, dressed and down for simpler breakfast than the day before. Lots of coffee and chatting with the owner and another breakfast patron.  Then it was back to the room to haul our stuff to the car and then head home. Just as we got to Deary our phones went nuts. We were finally back in telephone range. We'd wifi at the lodge we paid for (it is thru the library which is right behind the lodge), but no phone or data.

A fun sight as we went thru Deary:



A most enjoyable weekend, I didn't feel guilty once about leaving the cats home alone (well watered, plenty of food and a self cleaning litter box).  So nice to be away from home a couple days where I don't have to do housework, cook or think I should be doing all that.

We've decided that for our 50th anniversary we are going some place warm, with elevators and no stairs LOL! Then again I will be 82, so it will be interesting to see what destination we can come up with.



Comments