New toy for my kitchen

Was chatting the other day with a co-worker and the subject of slow cookers, in specific my wish for a smaller one as the big 6 qt one I have is too big for certain applications I want to do, ie, overnight breakfast for the hubby. Well, seems he'd been gifted with a small 2 qt slow cooker he was reluctant to use as he is leery of leaving things plugged in like that while he is gone. He brought it in and gave it to me:

little crock-pot


I tried it out the other night with Alton Brown's overnight oatmeal. A few modifications on my part (a big handful of some dried figs and apple slices, a half cup of milk powder and no half and half) and hubby had a very delicious hot breakfast the next morning.

Next time I will see about spraying down the crock with cooking spray before tossing the ingredients in, I had some stickage of oatmeal, but no scorching at all. Can't wait to see what other grains I can make breakfast out of for overnight cooking.

Comments

~mel said…
Well that was pretty nice of your co-worker to give you the smaller crock pot. I had the same dilemma about too big of cooker for some of the things I wanted to use it for too and finally bought myself a smaller one the last time I saw them on sale. I've never thought of using it to make oatmeal ~ interesting... and your modification of adding figs and apple slices... yum. Thanks for sharing!
JeanC said…
Hey Mel :)

The smaller slow cooker is definitely nice. Made another batch of oatmeal last night and I sprayed the heck out of it with cooking spray and I had very little stickage this morning. Planning on seeing what other whole grains I can use to make breakfast with and see about stocking up on more dried fruits.

It is also going to be nice for making small batches of stock using smoked ham hocks so I can make bean or split pea soup when I don't have a ham bone handy.