RIP Kathy Hadden

My mom sent me an obit this morning from the local paper. I don't read it, but she keeps and eye on it to see what is happening here in Moscow:

Kathleen Marie 'Kathy' Hadden
49, formerly of Moscow

July 27, 2010

Kathleen Marie "Kathy" Hadden, 49, of Emmett and formerly of Moscow passed away Monday, July 26, 2010, at a Boise hospital.

Funeral services will be conducted at 1 p.m. Thursday, July 29, 2010, at the First Presbyterian Church in Emmett. Burial will follow in the Emmett Cemetery. Visitation will be Wednesday, 3-8 p.m. at the Potter Funeral Chapel in Emmett.

Kathy was born June 25, 1961, at Moscow, Idaho, a daughter to George M. and Melba F. (Mack) Hadden. She grew up in Moscow and graduated from high school there and attended the University of Idaho, where she studied political science and Spanish. In 1983 she moved to Boise to be near her family and she continued her studies at Boise State University.

She belonged to and enjoyed SCA, a medieval recreation society. She also enjoyed doing crafts, quilting, crocheting, knitting and weaving.

She was preceded in death by her parents.

Survivors include her sister, Ruth of Emmett; two aunts, Rosalie and Lillian and several cousins.

Memorials may be made in her name for multiple sclerosis research to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society office at 6901 W. Emerald St., Suite 207, Boise, ID 83704.


Kathy was my first friend when we moved back to Moscow when I was just getting into high school. Her mom and my mom had been in the same pre-natal class in 1961, so I guess we "knew" each other even then LOL!

We hung out a lot, sleep overs, movies and all sorts of stuff. Even after I moved back to California in 1977, we kept in touch and once I came back for college, picked right back up hanging out, going to the local science fiction convention.

I remember the time we drove to her parent house in southern Idaho. She had just gotten a used car all her own and we needed to drive her parent's car back. So began the "Adventure".

Both cars had issues. Her car kept over heating, so we would have to stop at every little town on the way to let it cool down. The car I was driving had an oil leak and we had to keep filling it up. It was also a push button Dodge, so there was no gear lever, just buttons.

We finally limped into Grangeville where we found a mechanic to look at the Dodge. There was a fairly good sized hole in it, so we had to leave it and continue on in her car. Luckily by that point, the temperatures were cooling off as night was falling. We eventually got to Horseshoe Bend, called her parents to let them know where we were at and curled up in the car to get a bit of sleep. Her dad came to get us and we followed him to their place and had a more enjoyable weekend once we got there.

After she moved from Moscow, we still kept in touch. I remember many Friday and Saturday nights where we spent hours on the phone once the long distance rates dropped.

This was before the days of easy email, so as things go the way they go, the time between phone calls got stretched out farther and farther, letters didn't get sent and we eventually lost touch.

I've tried over the years to contact her again as I thought of her often, but never succeeded. But while I didn't have the chance to connect with her again, I am so glad to have known her, call her my friend and remember fondly all the time we spent together.

Good bye Kathy, you will be greatly missed.