Somewhat warmer today

and since there is snow on the ground, a good thing. When it all comes down to it, I'll take snow over extreme cold any day. At least I can still see my flamingos in the lawn!

Snow, again


It was a very pretty drive in this morning with the blue sky and the sun shining:

Snowy landscape


Trying an experiment. I usually don't eat breakfast, makes me feel icky. My dad had the same problem, not sure about the other relatives on his side of the family. It was a running battle with my mom growing up as she kept trying to get me to eat breakfast. I just loath having anything first thing in the morning, so once I went to college, was able to skip breakfast and settle for tea or coffee. I got an idea watching a show on the travel channel that was filmed in Asia, don't remember which country, but the host had soup for breakfast, so that got me to thinking.

I picked up some fermented soy bean paste at one of the Asian markets in Spokane last time up and hadn't really gotten around to using it. So last night I made a pot of soup (mostly for my dinner, my tummy was not terribly happy with me after lunch. I couldn't finish it I felt so bloated and it wasn't that big of a lunch) and I wanted something light. I picked up some crimini mushrooms at Safeway and went to it.

I put some water in a pot and added a seriously good sized dollop of the paste and let it simmer. I then added some soy sauce, roasted sesame oil, lime juice and a bit of rice vinegar (I was seriously winging this recipe). I sliced the 'shrooms and added those and let it simmer longer. I was going to add some rice sticks, but discovered I was out.

When it was ready I ladled some out into a big cup and MMMMMMMMMM tres delish. Not quite what I was aiming for (I really need to find a good miso soup recipe) but tasty in its own way.

So this morning I ladled some into a cup and nuked it and had it before I drank my tea. So far so good. No tummy aches, no wanting to curl up and crash and no feeling like I have a lead balloon in the bottom of my stomach. So I think I may have something I can have first thing in the morning that isn't just caffeine that will help me get thru the morning.

So now I am feeling fine and ready to finish yesterdays lunch which I stashed in the fridge in the staff lounge.

Comments

SaoirseDaily2 said…
We had mostly sun all day yesterday. I think most of the bad weather was south east of Spokane. Did you try the Oriental market on Trent? It is the best. She has foods from all diffrent cultures.

Stay warm and safe.
JeanC said…
I keep forgetting to hit the one on Trent. It has been a while. We usually hit the one on Sprague since we are usually driving past it on the way out to the valley for shopping. I have to remember to make sure we have the time to stop at the other as she does have a lot of good stuff. Found some rice spiral noodles one time and I would love to have more of those.