Torn meniscus....maybe

I didn't hear back from anyone, so last Friday I called the ortho to make an appointment (apparently something went TU in communications as they didn't have any record of my docs office calling). I lucked out and they had an appointment available yesterday.

So I go in and get xrays done, the tech let me see them afterwards, pretty cool, tho the one position he had me in to get the shot I could have done without. I haven't done yoga in a LONG time. OUCH!

So the doc comes in and says I have some arthritis in both knees, but not enough to cause problems, we go over what I've done to my knees in the last number of years and he is pretty sure I have torn the meniscus. I have a nasty habit of twisting and turning in such a way as to leave my poor knee in not so great condition (word of advice to younger readers, alcohol and water skis don't mix. Neither does running up and down steep slopes geocaching while wearing inappropriate shoes).

So now I wait for the insurance company to approve an MRI so we can find out for sure. In the meantime I'm hobbling around on a cane (which I LOATHE). If it is torn, then we look at surgery and my summer will be shot since I will be stuck on crutches (hubby has said I can use his wheel chair since he isn't using it now).

In the meantime, it snowed this morning. I hope my little tomato seedlings I put in the ground on Sunday are doing okay. It is raining now, but it is still cold out. I did get two self watering containers made on Sunday, need 3 more so I can get the rest of my seedlings potted. With my knee being a pain, I'm not going to be doing a lot of in ground gardening this summer.

Came to work this morning and saw this:

But it's JUNE!!!!!!


Yes, that is snow on the side mirror and falling on the lawn, that has sprinklers going on it. SIGH!

It is supposed to get nicer by this weekend, so with luck we can go fishing on Friday. I really, really need to get out fishing.

Picked up a little Weber table top charcoal grill, a part gull propane bottle for the gas grill, a grill brush and charcoal chimney starter for $10 on moscowcheapcycle yesterday. I'll find a new home for the starter since I already have one. We'll use the weber for camping and I can alway use more grill brushes. So hopefully I can get the gas grill up and running soon. It will come in handy this summer when it is too hot to cook inside, it has a side burner, so I now have LOTS of options for cooking outside.

I've a roast in the little slow cooker going at home, not sure what sides I will make to go with it yet. It should make enough for a couple meals. We'd gotten a fairly big roast at Winco and I cut it in two and the other half is in the freezer. Picked up a couple 25 pound bags of rice at Costco on Sunday. One long grain and the other jasmine. With the cost of everything going up we are going to see about stocking up whenever we can so we won't get caught short if things go to hell in a handbasket. We are definitely going to start buying as much food that is local as possible and I hope to get the greenhouse design finalized so I can get that going so I can grow greens this fall and winter and have an early start next year.

Comments

Drang said…
As soon as you acquire a cane, you have to acquire a Story.
You know, "There I was, scaling the Eiger with Clint Eastwood..."

I just mutter things about "Air assaults gone bad." Sounds so much better than too much PT...
JeanC said…
Hehehe, that is why I haul out the "water skis and vodka don't mix" story. I am pretty sure that is where it all started, way back when I was still young and immortal. It all just caught up with me.

Have to think about using the Clint Eastwood story :D
Chimera said…
I don't like canes, either. Mostly because it hurts my lower back to have the support fulcrum below my waist. So I use a walking stick. I've built up a nice little connection of them, including some made from the 6-foot-tall bamboo garden stakes you can get real cheap at WalMart (cut one off at the desired height, get a foot for it from a hardware store or pharmacy, decorate it however you want, and voila! instant conversation piece/walking aid/self defense tool).

Hubby's not using the wheelchair any longer? That's cool. Got the test result back for him yet?
JeanC said…
The results for his tests should be in this week. He may need to call them to find out.

A walking staff won't work out too well here at work, but I think I will grab mine for the next time I am out and about in the yard.
Jim said…
Hey Jean. I hope you get a good report from the MRI. It's hard to believe it's snowing there. LOL I had a pair of sunglasses melt in the car Sunday here in Atlanta. Take care! -Jim
moni said…
Snow????
We are in the 100s daily now! Well, June is our warmest month because of the super clear skies. Take it easy and protect that knee. I'm going to need a walker soon, eek!!