The year is winding down

I have 8 pasties freezing in the freezer. Once they are frozen I'll wrap them and then they will be ready for my lunches. Hubby has been out all day at a clients, maybe more then one client I don't know.

I've been playing door person for the kitties, I swear I am going to figure out how to teach them to open it themselves if I could be guaranteed they would shut the door properly behind them LOL.

Still don't know if we are having a guest tonight. I guess I'll find out if and when she gets here.

Been listening to Best of Broadway on Sirius on the Dish. I was getting sick and tired of all the diet bullshit the other stations are running. The two biggest bullshitters (I am NOT going to apologize for my language at this time, it is appropriate in this case) are Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig commercials.

First I will address Jenny Craig and Valerie Bertanelli's "tears". She is SOOOOO tearful that she'll wake up tomorrow and not think about her weight anymore. I hate to tell you sweet heart, unless you are from another planet, you WILL be thinking about your weight tomorrow and again and again the rest of the year. You have been programmed to think about it and even if you reach your "goal" weight, you still won't be satisfied. Big Pharma and the diet mongers don't want you to be satisfied, they will always find a way to niggle into your brain that you can always stand to lose a couple more pounds, just for your own sake of course. It is in THEIR best interests to keep you off balance and on the diet roller coaster so they can continue to make mega-billions of of every woman, man and child in the world.

Now lets get onto Weight Watchers. Excuse me, you AREN'T a diet, coulda fooled me. They have co-opted the Fat Acceptance and Health at Every Size saying "Diets don't work", but since they aren't a DIET, they will work. Last time I looked, you are pushing weight loss as the goal, so you ARE a diet. A diet that keeps changing every time we turn around. If ANY of these negative body image pushers actually had programs that WORKED then they wouldn't have to keep changing themselves everytime you turn around. Heck, if they ACTUALLY worked, they'd have been out of business long ago as everyone would be skinny.

Check out the various fat blogs in my sidebar, there are people who talk about this better then me. One person is Sandy over at Junkfood Science, she has two very good articles on the subject, a two part article: What does the evidence reveal? Can diets work? Part 1 and Part 2.

So it being New Year's Eve I guess I must make a resolution, it is tradition after all. Well, I resolve to make no resolutions what so ever. I will continue to putter along, FLYing and simplifying my life as I go and enjoy the New Year and hope it is a better one then 2007.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dahling, you cannot eat pasties. Pasties are the things that strippers put on their nipples.
And that would be gross for lunch, no matter where you work ;)
And, I cannot stop sneezing. Vacuum the kitties, please!
Chimera said…
Do you make your pasties with or without turnips, Jean? Now I'm gonna have to make another trip to my local Brit deli for lunch...reading your blog makes me hungry, dammit!

I made a resolution years ago not to make any more resolutions. To this day, it's the only one I've ever kept.

Happy New Year!

PS: Check my place for Spider and Jeanne's latest adventure -- w00t!
JeanC said…
LOL, it is all in how you pronounce it. The edible ones are pronounced PASSties, the other ones are PAYsties :D

I tried to vacuum the kitties once, took weeks for the gouges in my arms to heal up hehehehehehe.

Chimera, just with potatoes, tho next time I want to add parsnips (what my dad used along with the potatoes). Turnips are a bit too strong for my palette.
Chimera said…
Parsnips? Now, that's an option I would never have considered until you mentioned it. But then, I do like the small sharpness of neeps.

No pasties left for lunch. So I had steak-and-kidney pie, instead. They must have been made with veal kidneys, because the flavor was fairly mild...
Anonymous said…
Pasties? I'm envious. It's been ages -- I'll have to nudge the cook in our house to get busy. When you say turnips are too strong do you mean white or yellow? We always use rutabaga (yellow turnip)(aka Swedes) and they're much more edible than the white ones. White turnips always strike me as being really bitter. We use carrots occasionally, too, if only for the color.