Be afraid, be VERY afraid

Hehehehehehehe.

I told Rodney I would be willing to drive for the field trips. Seems the U has this rule that drivers of university vehicles should be employees (tho grad students count I guess, but not enough volunteered). Once I fill out the paperwork and get it back to him (once he sends it to me), I will be piloting a 9 passenger Surburban.

Automatic.

Gotta remember that there are only TWO pedals, not three and try not to down shift. Did that once in my old station wagon. Transmissions make the funniest noises when you try and down shift automatics at 55 mph.

As long as there is no backing up or parallel parking involved, I should do fine.

I'll let everyone know what the routes will be so they can be off the roads on those days LOL.

Comments

Chimera said…
Here's a tip for making an easier transition from manual to automatic:

Get comfortable in your normal driving position. Then take your left foot and tuck it between the seat and the door. Any time you reflexively try to shift gears, the position of your left foot will remind you not to do it.
JeanC said…
Oooooo, now that sounds like a good tip. Cars get cranky when you hit the clutch when there isn't any. Did that once in a push button Dodge. Luckily it was having problems and I was going slow, but I still hit my nose on the steering wheel when I suddenly stopped.
Chimera said…
LOL! I did that once in an old Ambassador DPL that was tricked out with all the bells and whistles, including reclining bucket seats and an extra-wide super-sensitive power brake pedal. And I was used to driving a manual VW bug with power nothing, and the throw-out on the clutch coulda been used as gym equipment that would make Arnold sweat!

You know where this is going, right?

My passenger didn't. I hit that non-existent clutch so hard, the passenger barely had time to get her hands up in front of her face before the bounce forced her back so fast she broke the seat...and ended up reclining in a semi-aware state of confusion across the back seat.

I had an awful time trying to explain what had happened to the DPL's owner. He alternated between crying from laughter and moaning in misery about his broken passenger seat.