Back to the grind

Didn't get a whole heck of a lot done this weekend, tho we did buy a new refrigerator. Not exactly the one I wanted (bottom freezer), but a nice one and most importantly, a bigger one. All the bottom freezer fridges I liked were out of our price range, so c'est levi eh? We are having an ice maker installed, which means we need to run a water line from the sink to the other side of the kitchen, but it will be worth it not having to futz with ice cube trays.

The fridge is white with a top freezer and they will change the doors to open the other way once it is delivered, which will be Friday morning. I'll take the morning off so I can be home for the delivery. In the meantime I need to start cleaning out the old fridge and getting it clean. It already has a new home once we move it out.

One of the things I will have to do is take down the shelving in the kitchen so they can get the fridges moved and swapped. I think while it is down I will look at finishing the painting in there. I am also thinking that in a month or so I will see about getting some brush on black appliance paint and paint the deep freeze in black so it will go with the decor. Right now both units are almond colored, so the new fridge in white and the deep freeze in black would look so cool.

Phoebe has discovered the secret of the back door, she's been venturing outside on her own. So the other kitties are disappointed that the window is now shut after dark, as I don't want her out then. Daylight hours are fine, we can see her. She disappears nicely in the dark. She's also figured out that she can sit at the front door and make a racket and we'll let her in, she is such a smart kitty. She and Scrapper are definitely playing and Nicky seems to also be playing with her, tho it may be more she's playing and he's attempting to escape hehehehehe.

We have 3 new residents in the fish tank, two more boy guppies, Rowan & Martin. They are a purpley blue with REALLY show fins. They settled right in with Bert and Ernie (the other two boy guppies) and are helping to make headway on the algae buildup. The third new resident is George II, a new pleco. This time we went with a Bristle nosed pleco and so far so good. I just wish he would stop hanging out on the filter. The filter is where I usually find the dead fish and my heart stops when I see him there. But he's been doing a bang up job on the algae in the tank, even clearing off a couple of patches on the skull, which had pretty much turned a fuzzy brown.

We picked up a new heater for the tank, the one we got with the whole kit and kaboodle on freecycle gave up the ghost. Hubby figured we would have to get a new one eventually. This one seems to the doing the trick, tho I am having to fiddle with it to get the temp right. I figure a nice 78F should be nice. We got a bigger one then needed since the house gets chilly during the winter when we set the daytime temps for 60F. We also invested in a 5 gal bottle to get water from Winco, rather then fiddle with the water we get from the tap.

Had a minor adventure in Lewiston yesterday. We'd hit Ziggy's hardware and when we came out, the car wouldn't start. Deader then a door nail. One of the Ziggy's guys tried to give us a jump, but nothing was happening. So we ended up calling roadside assistance and waited. It was hot in Lewiston and I wasn't dressed for terribly hot weather. I popped in and out of Ziggy's for a bit to try and stay cool and finally gave up and sat in the car. The tow truck guy finally showed up. I figured one of several things was going to happen. The car would start before he even looked at it, he would look at it and figure out right away what was wrong and it would be something so simple we'd be kicking ourselves, the battery was definitely a problem and he could get us started enough so we could get to the nearest Schuck's and get a new battery or else we'd be flat bedding the car back to Moscow.

It was #2. The battery connections and posts were corroded just enough to keep the battery from doing it's thing and he scrapped it off. Hubby starting do the BEST Homer Simpson "D'OH!!!!!" I've ever heard. He knew that trick, even taught that trick to others. Not a trick I ever learned. But they guy had us back up and running in 5 minutes.

SIGH!!!!!!

At least we didn't have to buy a new battery or get flat bedded back to Moscow. Thank the Goddess for road side assistance.

So we hit Home Despot for a little more shopping, gassed up for WAYYYYYYY cheaper then here in Moscow and headed home. It was so much cooler up here and we pretty much crashed for the rest of the evening.

Made homemade mayo last night, very simple, 4 ingredients in the blender. Very tasty and doesn't taste anything like commercial mayo, which I loath. Have to fiddle with the recipe a bit, it was a little strong in the lemony department, which hubby didn't care for, tho it was not bad when mixed with tuna fish. I took 1 egg, 1/2 tsp of salt (kosher worked fine), 2 Tbs lemon juice and 1/4 cup canola oil. Put it in the blender and hit blend for 2 minutes. After two minutes I drizzled in 3/4 cup of oil until we had mayo. Nice and creamy and slightly tangy. The original recipe mentioned not always needing the full 1 cup of oil, but I did. Might depend on how thick you like your mayo. Now I need to see about a home made version of Miracle Whip LOL.

Remembered to pull some chicken from the freezer last night, we'll do chicken alfredo stuff when I get home. Nice and quick and with luck, can get to bed at a decent time.

Comments