GAK! I need a few days off

to recoup from my days off LOL.

I do so hate the first day back to work after a vacation, getting going is very slow going. Oh well, at least it is relatively quiet this week, right before school starts.

So I had a very nice week off, got more of the kitchen painted. I didn't do the wall with the fridge, deep freeze and shelves since that would have required a LOT of moving heavy things. Besides, when I finally get to that wall I want to redo all the shelving there, maybe build floor to ceiling with doors to hide things behind.

The kitten has a name now, her name is Phoebe. She is a fierce little hunter and while we were leaning towards Artemis, felt the additional name given her, Phoebe, was more suited. Phoebe was also Artemis' grandmother and was a Titan. Both are associated with the moon and Phoebe has the white spot on her tummy that looks a bit like the moon. Plus she answered it when hubby called her name.

The adult kitties are still not happy, tho KiKi is pretty much into ignoring her, unless she gets too close. Scrapper still is the one most accepting of her, as long as she doesn't get too close either. He will settle down, she will settle within a few inches and they seem to do well that way. He doesn't quite care when she gets rambunctious, then the noises start. They aren't growls, more like high pitched whines. Nicky and Rum Tum still run away from her. We are thinking is is becasue she is still a little. Once she gets bigger they might come around.

Speaking of KiKi, she's enrolled in a study thru WSU vet school for antioxidants and arthritis. She went in last Wed for the baseline testing and she does have some stiffness in a couple of joints. So she now has her own special food, Iams with added antioxidants. I also have to do weekly observations and record them. She'll go in in a few weeks again for more tests.

Picked up some more fish for the aquarium, 2 boy guppies and a plecostimus. The guppies are Bert and Ernie and I named the pleco Fred. Unfortunately I found Fred sucked up against the filter on Saturday, dead as a doornail. WAAHH!!!!! I didn't have him for very long. Everyone is telling me plecos are a bit touchy when they are small and I didn't do anything wrong. We'd taken in some water to test and it showed the water was fine. It will be a few weeks before we can pick up another one. At least the rest of the fish are doing fine. the guppies love riding the bubbles from the bubblers we have in there and they are eating some of the algae that is growing on the plants and the skull, so that is good.

Had a lovely visit with my mom. My aunt didn't come down to Moscow, tho we picked her up at the Spokane airport and visited with her before taking her to her hotel. She and my mom will be coming down tomorrow to take me and hubby out to dinner for my birthday. We are meeting them at Sangria right after work. Mom ordered an ice cream cake from Baskin and Robbins and we'll pick that up and have that at home afterwards.

I've now got a better idea of how I am going to build the greenhouse. The big window I got that I tried using for the cold frame is too big and heavy, so I am going to use it on the greenhouse. With the other windows I got off of freecycle and that I should have a enough to get it built. Still too warm to actually put it together, but I think I will start designing the frame and then figure out how to attach everything.

Harvested my first tomato, one of the yellow marbles. My that was a tasty tidbit. Such a HUGE flavor for such a tiny tomato. I am hoping for tons to start ripening soon. I'll save a couple out to get the seeds from so I can grow them from seeds in my (fingers crossed I actually get it done) greenhouse hehehehehehe.

Need to get a serious inventory of my pantries and freezers done. Someone had a handy brochure with inventory sheets posted in the files of the preserving food group I am on, so I printed that out to give me a start. I'll download it onto my computer at home so I will have it there and can printout the forms as I need them.

Hubby came across a laptop computer he is setting up for me, will come in handy for putting my AccuChef program on and using it for cooking and also for my class, which starts next week, so I need to get some paperwork done and get it paid for soon. I'm back to reading the text books so I will be ready for it.

Did a bit of stir fry this weekend. We'd picked up some boneless pork, so made pork stir fry on Saturday night. I'd forgotten we'd picked up a bottle of oyster flavored sauce at an Asian market last year. Turns out to be exactly the kind hubby likes. The stuff we get int he regular grocery stores aren't the right kind. So we'll just remember the brand and stock up next time we are near a market and have money. I also need to stock up on tom yum and tom ka guy paste, I am out of both. I made a double batch of rice on at, so last night I did pork fried rice and served it with some fo the leftover stir fry. Todays lunch is leftover fried rice. Not sure what dinner tonight will be, probably something dealing with chicken.

Comments