The memorial

The memorial for Officer Lee Newbill was beautiful and well attended. Before, there was a procession thru town of all the officers and EMS who came for the memorial.

I took a later lunch to go over and we were also given time of to go. Quite a few people from the library went and I saw a lot of people from all over campus attending.

Several people talked of Ofc Newbill. Wayne Rausch (Latah Sheriff), Dan Weaver (Moscow Police Chief), Mr Newbill, Lee's father and Lee's three children: Jeremiah and Christina Newbill and Lisa Rippee.

Jerimiah read a poem:

Judgment Day For A Police Officer

The police officer stood and faced his Maker,
which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining, just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, police officer how shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?
To your Maker, have you been true?"

The police officer, with squared shoulders, said "No sir, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry badges can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays and at times my talk was rough,
and sometimes I've been violent, because the streets are tough.

But I never took a penny, that wasn't mine to keep.
Though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills just got too steep.

And I never passed by a cry for help though at times I shook with fear,
and sometimes, please forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place among the people here.
They never wanted me around except to calm their fears.

But if you have a place for me here, well it need not be too grand.
I never expected or had too much so if you don't, I'll understand."

There was silence all around the room where the saints respectfully stood.
As the police officer waited quietly, for the judgment...bad or good.

"Step forward now, police officer, you've borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on heaven's streets, You've done your time in hell."

~author unknown~

I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Following the speakers were the presentation of a flag and police cross to his wife, Rebecca.

The 21 gun salute, Taps and the Last Service Call for Officer Newbill were very powerful.

The only low point of the memorial was the chaplain of the Coeur d'Alene police deptartment who had to throw in comments that this happened because of violent video games and movies. That if we got rid of those, then things like this wouldn't happened. Excuse me sir, but this was the wrong venue for a political statement such as that and everyone who attended that I talked to felt your words were inexcusable and completely uncalled for. We've had bad people who do bad things long before videos and movies and we will have them long after. They are bad because they are bad, not becasue they played a video game or watched a movie.

Comments