'Tis Firday....Friday even

My brain is having problems keeping letters in the right order for spelling, either hubby's dyslexia is seriously contagious, or the meds aren't working real well and the Graves' has splatted my brain big time.

SIGH!

At least it is Friday so a couple days to putter and hopefully finish getting the house, if not spotless, at least walk thruable hehehehehehe

The tree will go to the recyclers sometime this weekend and I need to get all the glassware and the bottles of booze back into their respective cupboards. The martini pitcher by the way got cracked on the trip over to the party, so we will need to replace it WAAHHH!!!!!!! Oh well, at least TriState is now carrying them, so we can get a replacement when we can. We are also going to look into getting plastic barware, so we don't have to haul the glass stuff, which of course has to be packed carefully and breaks anyways. It would also make containers of stuff a lot lighter.

Been trying my hand at sourdough. Managed to come up with a starter that seems to be working pretty well. I've made a loaf of sour dough bread using the starter when it was a couple weeks old. I'd been storing it in the fridge, pulled it out for over night to warm up and get bubbling again. Not bad bread. I ran a loaf thru the dough cycle of the bread machine and then cut the dough in half. One half I put in a loaf pan to rise again and then baked, the other half is in the freezer. I'll pull it out tonight to thaw in the fridge then tomorrow I'll take it out to rise in the pan before baking. If it works, I can make up several loaves every couple of weeks to freeze for future baking. I also made a sour dough whole wheat waffle using a recipe I found on the web and my sour dough starter and regular milk instead of soy milk:

SOURDOUGH WAFFLES
(Makes 6 large waffles; serves 3)

This recipe can be used for either sweet or savory waffles. For a
delicious breakfast or dessert waffle, add either 1 cup fresh or
frozen blueberries or 1 cup peeled, diced peaches, slightly crushed.
You do have to prepare part of this recipe the night before for the
starter to work.

1 cup Sourdough Starter (see previous recipe)
1 cup lowfat soy milk
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix sourdough starter, soy milk, and 1/2 cup of the whole wheat flour.
Cover and let stand at room temperature for 12-24 hours. When ready to
cook, add the remaining 1 cup whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking
powder, and salt. Heat waffle iron, pour in the appropriate amount of
batter for your specific model, and spread to the edges of the waffle
iron. Close and cook until gently browned.

They were very yummy and very filling. I was going to serve them with apple butter, but the apple butter I'd put up in the fridge had gone moldy so I had to toss it. It's not like I spent a lot of money on it, but still.... I will look at making some more soon and then gettigns some little containers I can freeze smaller amounts in I can then pull out as we need them. I'm not ready yet to learn canning, that can wait until next fall.

Made split pea soup this weekend. When we got back from the New Year's party I'd tossed two ham bones into the crockpot with water and set it to burbling the rest of the night on low. By Sunday afternoon the bones had fallen apart and the meat fallen off. So I pulled the meat out and stashed it in the fridge and then tossed the bones and cartiledge. Half the stock I stashed in gladware containers in the freezer and then put in 5 cups of split peas to simmer in the stock. I eventually added the juice from the ham when I baked it. I had seasoned the ham with Old Bay and then poured cola over the top. The juices from that I saved. When I was ready to use it, I peeled the ham fat off the top and stashed it in the freezer for future culinary adventures and the ham jelly (the juices had gelled up beautifully) got tossed into the soup and MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM heaven in a soup bowl. Hubby even liked it even tho there wasn't a drop of worchestershire sauce in sight I've been eating split pea soup for lunch all week.

Comments