Phhttttttttthhhhhh!

LOL Weather today has been fun. Cold and at one point on our way back from town, almost a white out hehehehehehe. We'd popped into Ross to use up the last of the gift cards. Came home with a psuedo-mandoline (a slicer grater thingy), a new tea kettle (way cool I'll have to get a pic of it to post. It has a very retro 50ish future feel to it) and pastry cutter/scraper thingy. We then hit the dollar store to pick up a couple more things, walked out $14 later. It is getting VERY dangerous to walk in there, but we have 2 more beer mugs, 4 ramikins with lids, a couple grabby placemats that work great holding my cutting boards in place (and in purple too :D ) and some other odds and sods. That's when the almost white out icky weather rolled in. It rolled out again about 1/2 hour later and is just cloudy and cold.

Used the new mando thingy to slice potatos for scalloped potatos and ham for dinner. Worked wonderfully well, tho it only slices one thickness, thin. But this will give me an idea if I want to eventually get a real mandoline, preferably one that does different thicknesses and cut fries.

The scalloped potatos turned out pretty good. I sliced 5 potatos and ended up with more then I needed (the extra are in the fridge in water, I'll use them for breakfast tomorrow). Pulled the ham and the carmalized onions from the freezer and defrosted those. I made a white sauce with 3 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons flour to make a roux. Added about 1/4 heaping teaspoon of mustard powder and then 2 1/2 cups milk. Layered in the potatos, ham, shredded mozzarella slat and pepper and did this in 3 layers. I poured the white sauce over the whole batch and popped it intot he oven on 350F for an hour and a half. Came out yummy, tho I either needed more roux or less milk as the sauce wasn't as thick as I'd like, but still tasty.

Made up a whole loaf of french toast this morning, that's in the freezer for hubby's breakfasts. Tomorrow I'll brine the latest packages of chicken breasts we bought and make up some burger patties and consider what I'll do with the bag of potatos we picked up last night when we hit Winco.

Comments