PHEW!!!

It's a scorcher today, currently 94F and they are predicting 96F as our high. The area is also under a fire watch, humidity is 10%. They are predicting possible thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow, hopefully if there are any there is LOTS of rain in them. Otherwise we're looking at dry lightning and very dry fuel.

Update on the ice cream. The splenda version freezes a lot harder then the sugared version when placed in the freezer overnight. I was able to scoop the regular with very little problems (and it had been in the freezer since Monday night), but the splenda version was darned difficult, I ended up making flakes. Out side of that it still tasted good.

Had friend over last night to try them. In a side by side comparison she prefered the regular over the splenda, tho she did say if she hadn't been comparing them she says the splenda version was good, tho not quite as rich as the regular.

I'm thinking if I was going to make the ice cream to have and store, I'll stick with the regular version and then make the splenda version to be eaten soft served, tho I might try doing a batch in the morning and see what happens if I only freeze it for a few hours instead of overnight.

I'm slowly getting dinner ready earlier, the problem with the heat is I really don't want to cook. I am using my little slow cooker this week. The night before I cooked some chicken pieces in it that I added a couple onions from my garden, about a handful of garlic cloves, 4 small potatos I chopped up, a bit of water and seasoned with some kosher salt and italian seasoning. I let it all simmer until everything was done and then thickened the juices with cornstarch. A very good on pot meal.

Last night I got started earlier, tho dinner wasn't ready until 9ish, but it was better then 10ish LOL I took a chunk of the fresh ham we had gotten, popped it in the slow cooker with a bit of sesame oil, turned it up high and then popped in some spicy brown mustard we got at the dollar store. Let it cook and OOOOOOOOO was it tasty. Sliced it and paired it with some boxed potato stuff. We're going to stock up on the mustard, we already have with the dijon and honey mustard they sell. The gal at the store says they get it in all the time, but we've found when we find something like this we really, really like they stop carrying it. So off to the shop we'll go. The brand is Plochman's, which I've never heard of before but it is very yummy stuff and I don't like mustard as a rule.

Comments