3:08 am

and I'm still awake :P

SIGH!!!!!

Had a nice mug of hot cocoa and am only mildly sleepy. Luckily this time its a weekend night, so I can sleep in no problem. But this is getting really, really old.

Hit the grocery store again, this time Rosauers. Got chicken hindquarters, 2 packages for the price of one. So we got 8 pounds for $5. Not quite as good a price on what we usually get at Winco, but they haven't had the bags 'o hindquarters for a few weeks now. We did go back to Winco to pic up some peanuts, bananas and the half & half and heavy cream for the ice cream. We looked for the dairy at Rosauers and about had a heart attack over the pices. The dairy at Winco was half what Rosauers wanted.

Made a big pot of sweet corn and shredded chicken chowder. It was one of hubby's favorite at a little restaurant he used to go to in China Town when he still lived in Vancouver BC Canada. What I came up with was pretty close. No measurements I'm afraid, but the recipe I came up with is:

Chicken stock
frozen super sweet white corn
shredded cooked chicken
Chinese 5 spice
seasame oil
spring or young onion
salt
garlic powder

I used the chicken stock I had in the freezer, which when thawed filled 1/3 or so of the crock pot (6 qt). I added water to fill it half way. I used about half a 3 lb bag of frozen super sweet corn from Costco and let that cook until the corn was tender. I threw in some 5 spice (a pinch or two, the stuff is strong) and the rest of the seasonings. I chopped the young onion up and put that in and let everything simmer. Then I took the stick blender and blended the heck out of it. I then took a couple heaping teaspoons of cornstarch, dissolved in water and added that to thicken. I then shredded up some leftover chicken from theother night and added that and let everything simmer for longer. We did adjust the seasonings a bit, alittle more salt and a little more sesame oil. It came out like hubby remembers, tho a bit thinner. Some recipes I've found online call for beaten eggs to thicken. I may try that next time. We had that for dinner and the rest is in containers in the fridge to cool down before I stach them in the freezer.

Signed up for a couple more mailing lists: FoodSaver for people who have vacuum sealers and are looking for tips and such and sharing ideas and Freezer-Friendly for people looking at doing batch cooking and such. Since I'm trying to get into doing as much cooking as possible in hopefully one weekend a month, these groups will help.

Okay, starting to yawn, will look at toddling off to bed soon

Comments