New week

I'm starting to feel better, a least fever-wise. I think the highest temp I've gotten in the last few days was 99F and that was on Saturday after being out to the big garden. I'm also getting more energy, tho in short bursts, but I'm slowly making a dent in the dishes.

We hit the grocery store yesterday, picked up some Vidalia sweet onions. I was going to saute them to pair with the roast pork, but hubby got a hankering for onion rings, so I did up a beer batter. I only cooked about half of the onions I cut up. There are a LOT of rings in 2 good sized Vidalias. I have enough left over, both sliced onions and batter to do more rings tonight. I didn't have enough white flour for the batter, so I added some whole wheat bread flour. It came out quite yummy. Extra fiber too :D I ate too many tho, I gotta remember that even tho they are sweets, onions still try and kill me. But oh was it tasty hehehehehe

Weather is supposed to be dry today, so I hope to get some weeding done in my little garden. I also held back a few spinach seeds to start a new planting in my own spinach bed. The rest of the seeds are going in the community garden. This year I won't pull up the whole plant, but cut what I need so I'll have spinach, and lettuce, the whole summer, or as long as I can keep them going.

Hubby was listening to the scanner yesterday and came out to say there was a fire in the 1400 block of a street I used to live on. I'm going, that street only runs into the 900s on one end and 600s on the other. Could they have said 410 N Jefferson? He said Yeah, that was it. Lovely, the apartment building I used to live in is burning down again. I moved into in the mid 80's, one of the original houses on that area that was turned into apartments. I had the main floor apartment with the 12 foot ceilings, warped wood floor and the bathroom wedged under the stairs going to the upper floors. I loved it, tho it leaked like a sieve and I was afraid to run the natural gas heater above the pilot light for fear of fire. The year before I moved in, the heater in the apartment immediately above mine had caught fire and torched that apartment. The cheapskate landlord didn't get the windows boarded up or replaced and the apartment repaired until 6 months after I moved in. But it was cheap and had a lot of charactor.

He eventually sold it to people who put money into it, I would have loved to have moved back in, but by then they had a no pets clause and really cranked the rent. Early last year some tenents didn't make sure the cigs they threw in the butt can on the porch was completely out, they torched the house (they had a habit of not checking the butt can, they'd had a couple small fires previously). It's been empty and should have been torn down shortly there after, but for some reason the owners have not done so. It has been an eyesore, even for "The Ghetto" as that area is called.

Well, aparently a fire broke out mid-morning yesterday in the basement from the sounds of it. We drove by on the way back from the store about 4:30 and they were still pouring water on it. Darned place is going to have to be torn down now. Be interesting if the local paper actually has any coverage, it has been a slow news week.

Comments