Gotta love friends with gardens

Hubby stopped out at a friends house yesterday to visit and pick up a 55 gal barrel I'm going to use for water storage for mygarden. Before he left our friend went out and picked 2 big bags of spinach and a bag of asone other greens. So when we stopped at the grocery store I picked up a package of bacon ends and for dinner we had wilted greens.

For wilted greens you cut up some bacon and fry it up. Pour off all but a couple tablespoons of the grease and add some vinegar (in my case we like to use basalmic vinegar) and add some sweetener (either sugar or splenda, whichever you prefer) and let that simmer. Take a bunch of spinach that has been washed and shaken dry and add to the bacon mixture and toss to coat. Let it wilt a bit and then serve. You can also put the spinach in a big bowl and then add the bacon mixture and toss if you don't want to let the spinach wilt too much. Remember you will probably want to add more spinach then you think you will need, as the spinach will reduce in size as it wilts.

We also picked up a couple of sweet onions and I sliced and sauted one of them and served it on the side. You can do this with regular onions, but regular onions don't like me, so we use swets. Put a little olive oil in a frying pan and let it heat up over medium high heat, add onions and a bit of kosher salt and toss the onions using tongs. I then turn the heat down to medium and put a cover on and then toss the onions occasionally until they are a golden brown. These are really yummy to serve with a nice steak.

Weather today is a bit gray. I'm hoping to mow the lawn sometime this weekend and possibly get to work done in my garden. I still have to repot those tomato starts and get some more seeds started.

Comments