Catching up

Did make it out to the range on Saturday, tho the weather was looking icky. But then again there is an adage around here "Don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" to which I add "or drive 5 miles" hehehehehe. Drove right out of the hail into sunshine and blue skies.

It was cold, so I layered on a heavy t-shirt with my warm fuzzy vest under the woolie pullie and then topped the whole thing with my hunting cap with the thermal liner. I was nice and toasty, at least most of me. I don't have any gloves really suitable for shooting in, so my hands got a bit cold.

So we took the light load .38 and the .357 commerical loads and the bear stoppers hubby had run up for me when I went hunting to load in my Rugar for "just in case". Since this is a small framed, short barreled gun I was fully expecting it to have a kick like a mule, even with the light loads. It wasn't bad, but when we ran the other two loads thru, YE OUCH!!!! hehehehehehe I started off with the original rubber grips on it and hubby shot it also. The trigger in double action mode was very stiff, and hubby thinks I am right in thinking it was practically new in box, the previous owner obviously didn't shoot it hardly at all. Shooting it in single action mode was a lot easier and whole heck of a lot more accurate, but then again, it is how I am used to shooting. So will definately practice with it some more.

The funny thing I discovered was how much better it felt to shoot when we switched to the wood handle. The recoil didn't hurt as much, but I think that is because the rubber grips didn't allow for any movement of the gun, while the wooden grips felt more like my cowboy guns that are meant to slide up when you shoot.

We didn't get too many pics, it was so cold out the batteries had problems with holding the charge. But we did get a couple of little video clips (when we bought the camera we didn't think the little movielets were a good idea, silly us LOL) and I have them posted on my homepage. You will need to have Quicktime installed to view them and they are 3.6 mgs each. One is one I call "Oww!!!!" where you see how I react to full bore .357 and the other is where I use the light load .38s with some cool flames coming off on a couple of rounds. I want to go out and do some night shooting again and get some more pics of the flames after dark, it is sooooooo cool :D

So we did that for a little while, popping ballons, mostly hitting dirt, tho I did move up to 21 feet of the targets to work on shooting accurately. I do have a pic with some of the shoot-n-c targets I'll put up later. Hubby also can get frame grabs from the videos so I can put up a still gallery also.

Went over to the neighbors afterwards and we collaborated on dinner. He made a yummy sausage and mushroom pizza and we brought over the fixin's for cake. Spent the evening just chatting and kicking back and relaxing.

Sunday was a fairly quiet day, just puttered a bit, worked on webpages, surfed blogs and avoided watching the telly (recorded some Avengers to watch later) and DEFINATELY avoid the Super Bowl.

All in all, a very good weekend :)

Comments