Sunshiny day

Sun is out again and the temps are in the mid 40s, tho there is a bit of a breeze, so it is definately chilly.

Need to figure out who is leaving headless mouse corpses on the porch, I don't think it is any of our lot as they appear overnight and we find them in the morning. Luckily so far they have been placed far enough from the door that I have not actually stepped on one, close but so far not yet. I must say tho, this mild weather had been very good for the mice, they are frickin' HUGE!!!

Planning dinner out in advance is definately helping, with the except of having to stop off at the store last night to pick up the onion and green onions, I'm not worrying at all. By doing a big shop for things like meat, canned goods, frozen stuff and dry goods I will be able to plan a head of time and then only worry about getting things like bread and fresh veggies on a weekly basis and in the long run save a lot of money. When we were shopping practically daily, we'd never walk out with anything less the $20 worth of stuff and usually didn't have anything for the next night.

Dinner last night was a recipe I found in Accuchef, Chicken and Potatos Oregano, except it turns out I didn't have any oregano in the house :( Not a problem since it also called for italian seasoning. I subsituted the boneless, skinless chicken thighs I prefer for the chicken breasts is calls for, using 2 thighs for each breast. I also used a sweet onion instead of a regular yellow. It was a very tasty one skillet meal that paired of well with veggies on the side:

My version:
8 chicken thighs
1 medium sweet onion
5 small to medium potatos, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup butter
2 tbs sesame oil
2 pinches kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbs italian seasoning

Melt butter with oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan, cast iron if possible. Cut up onion and sautee them until golden brown. Add chicken and brown, then add potatos and mix together. Sprinkle on salt and pepper, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stir occasionally. Remove lid, add italian spices and stir to blend in. Replace cover and continue cooking for 10 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

We have GOT to get that old laptop functioning and hooked up to my computer via a network. With the laptop I can access Accuchef from the kitchen, instead of having to run to the living room where my computer is to keep checking recipes.

Got my W-2 today, now we can get the taxes figured out. I am hoping we get enough back I can FINALLY get the Kitchen Aide stand mixer I want. Baking will be so much easier, I love the end product, I just hate the process, esp bread making. I love cooking otherwise, but I've never been patient enough for baking. Of course, when I finally do get one I'm going have to re-arrange the kitchen to put it somewhere. I need a bigger house, I don't have enough room for my kitchen appliances

Comments