Onion recipes

The sauteed sweet onions were delish last night (and I am a happy camper in that I have leftovers for lunch today :D ). I prefer to use sweet onions as I have problems with regular onions (they hate me and I dislike having a sore tummy :( ). Walla Walla Sweets are my fav, it has nothing to do with the fact they are a regional produce :D hehehehehe.

So to make cheesy sauteed sweets, heat a heavy frying or sautee pan over medium high and then add a bit of olive oil. Skin and slice onions into rings and layer into the pan. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt and put lid on pan. Allow to cook for a few moments, then remove lid and toss onions to coat with oil and the juices which should be starting to form. Replace lid and allow to cook some more, continue this until the onions start to turn golden brown. Remove lid and continue to turn the onions so they carmelize evenly. When they reach desired doneness (I like them to be a medium darkness), remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese of choice (in this case it was a 4 cheese mexican blend) and replace lid to allow the cheese to melt.

Here is my dad's Onion Stuffed Onion recipe. This is the original recipe, my dad used yellow onions. I prefer to use sweets and recently discovered it works well with a creamy goat cheese, brie and
monteray jack quite well. When using brie, I used less butter.

Jean C

@@@@@
Onion stuffed onions

2 large onions
4 ounces saltine crackers, crumbled
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 3/4 cups cheddar chesse, shredded
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel onions into halves, crosswise.
Remove center, leaving 2 or 3 layers to form onions. Chop half the
eters; reserve remainder for another purpose. Combine with crackers,
garlis, 1 3/4 cups cheese, 1 tablespoon paprika and metled butter in
bowl; mix well. Pack into onion cups. Top with 1/4 cup cheese and 1/4
tsp paprika. Place in 9X9 inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes

Per Serving: 620 Cal (70% from Fat, 13% from Protein, 17% from Carb);
20 g Protein; 49 g Tot Fat; 29 g Sat Fat; 15 g Mono Fat; 27 g Carb; 2
g Fiber; 531 mg Calcium; 3 mg Iron; 1016 mg Sodium; 131 mg Cholesterol
@@@@@

Comments