Monday

Blah. I hated turning on the alarm last night, 6am is just way to early to even think of being awake. Manage to stumble thru making a pot of coffee, we'd only had enough for a cup and a half in the pot and that wasn't nearly enough to start the day.

Managed to get out last night to do some planting. The day turned out to be pretty nice, the thunderstorms and rain all day didn't materialize. So I got the romas tansplanted, some of the cherry tomatos in and 6 hills of cucumbers, a row of long beams and a couple rows of sugar peas. Onions are going around the front edge, next to the edging.

My neighbor came over and gave me some giant marigold seeds, so I'll plant those along the edges of the garden where I can to help keep bugs out. She asked about the hills, when I told her they were for cucumbers she said there wasn't room. I told her I was planning on running stakes and sting and run them upwards and she nodded and said "that will work". I've not much room to plant, so I have to get creative with what I've got. I'll be doing the same with the peas and beans. Some of the peas I can plant along the back edge of the trailer and shed, just have to rig up string for it to climb up.

Tonight I'll poke some holes in a couple pots I have and plant the rest of the cherry tomatos, so I can place those around the yard where I want. I still have some bell peppers, so they will also go into pots, I'm thinking of hanging those off the porch in hanging baskets. Would look pretty, esp when they start producing peppers.

FINALLY got the cold water tap on the washer fixed. We figured out we didn't need the special tool the property owner said we needed to turn the outside water off (the taps for the washer are the only ones we haven't retroed in shutoff valves yet). The tap would leak out the top everytime we turned it on, so we ended up rigging a funnel and hose to a bucket to catch the water. Only problem was is we'd frequently forget the washer was going and get distracted with something else (like cooking and eating dinner) and occasionally flood the hallway :( So we shut off the water and commenced to plumbing repair. Why is it when we do plumbing repairs, it takes 5 times as long? FIrst we discovered that our taps did not adhere to the adage "righty tighty, lefty loosey" which is the standard the world over. Then we had to hammer the handle off the tap assemlby. Then we discovered we didn't have a single washer that would work. Called our other neighbor who is the "washer queen" and she popped over with all she had. Found one that almost fit, paired it with an "o" ring and voila! We had a leakless cold water tap.

While we were at it, we took the valve assemblage that was attached so we could send water to the swamp cooler. That hasn't worked right since we moved in, so we decided since we were never going to use it (it is mounted in the cieling in the hall with my SF/F artwork I collect and our paperback books), no sense on having it on.

So, in celebration of having fixed the faucet, I went out and planted. When that was done, I did a fake crab and cheese fritatta with some chicken and veggie potstickers on the side for dinner. We do need to teach the kitten she can't eat off of mommy and daddy's plates. We had a heck of a time since she decided she was starving and what was in her dish wasn't going to cut it. Sigh! Kittens, gotta love them hehehehehe

Comments