Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Good question on the radio, would I clone my pet? At first thought I'd say yes, but then if I think about it, the answer would be no. Sure, I'd have a pet with the same genes as the original, but it wouldn't BE the pet I had. The curcumstances of their birth and early life would be totally different and the pet would not have the same traits as the original.

Take my sweet Freddy cat (who I still desperately miss). He was born in a wood pile out at a friends farm and spent his first couple of months running semi-wild, being raised by mom cat, dad cat, uncle cat, the family dog and any human who managed to catch him to help socialize him. Sure, I could have his cells used to clone him, but unless I can duplicate the circumstances of his life before I brought him home, he's just going to be a kitty with Freddy's genes AND there is no guarantee that he'd even look like the original. The kitty they successfully cloned this last year looked nothing like the original, except they had simialr coloring.

So, no, I would not clone any of my pets. I'll continue to remember them and the joy of the time I could share with them.

Comments