Definately time to break out the bike

Gas prices are creeping up around here. The cheapest regular unleaded this weekend was $1.97 a gal and that was only at a couple of stations. Everyone else was above $2 a gal. In a couple of weeks I will be switching my work hours to 8-5 (I work 9-6 during the school year, I love being able to sleep in in the morning :D ) so I am going to see if I can start carpooling with a neighbor until I can get my bike back into running condition and I get my stamina back up for biking. There is a nice trail they've done by converting an old railway track that runs near our place and thru town, so I can bike to work without dealing with traffic.

What I want to know, is why the price of gas in Pullman WA, right over the border is cheaper then here in Moscow? Washington has higher gas taxes, yet their prices are lower. Something weird is going on and the authorities don't want to look in to it or they pretend to look into it and find nothing wrong.

Excuses used by local station owners for the high prices in Moscow: "it costs a lot of money to haul gas up from Lewiston (35 miles away)"...so why is gas in Troy, 11 miles east of us, usually less then here in town?, "There are too many fuel efficiant cars", "We aren't on the I95 corridor" (damned highway runs right thru town!), and my favorite: "the soil on the Palouse is special so we have to have higher gas prices" :P

Comments